Best Broadcast Camera for £6000

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

London
United Kingdom
Best Broadcast Camera for £6000

Hi All,

New to the forum. Looking at setting up a concert live streaming system for a venue. I'm looking for 4 cameras with the following requirements:

• Genlock
  • Fixed aperture
  • 3G SDI

Right now the only one I can find in the £6k per camera budget is the Sony PXW-X200. It looks like it can more than adequately do the job but I'm put off from the fact that I'm buying into 3 year old technology. Other cameras which are just a bit too far out of budget are the URSA Mini Pro or Sony FS7 with genlock pack.

Is the X200 the best I can get for £6k or is there something else out there?

Many thanks in advance

West Michigan
United States
Best Camera?

This is kinda like saying who has the best pizza....  so many options.  I love the Pannasonic  AJ PX270s -  pretty cheap, CCU control, Long lens 22x, genlock, good recording options for iso record, pretty cheap, small size = small tripods, pretty cheap, camera operators can throw them around all day and night if you do long events, battery's are cheap,   all kinds of good options...  but there are probably 15 camcorders just like these...

SLC,
United States
Has there really been any

Has there really been any earth shattering development in the 1080 market in the last 3 years? 

Add us to the "very happy with the PX270" list. We have 3, each with an RCP panel. They make great pictures and have given us no trouble at all. We also have HE60 and HE130 units as well. They all play together very nicely.

Greg Bellotte
owner - MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

London
United Kingdom
Futreproofing

Hey Folks,

Thanks for the replies. The question is more alluding to the fact that I'm wanting to purchase these cameras as a 5 ish year investment. Buying 3 year old cameras to start with worries me that the system won't last, technologically speaking, with the pace of the industry...

Molde
Norway
To those of you who are using

To those of you who are using the Panasonic with RCPs - what is the distance you can get? Is it LAN-based, so you only need a network connection to the camera? I'm looking for new cameras with a basic CCU option, and that Panasonic is looking promising.

West Michigan
United States
future proof

The only way to future proof is to ask what your "end product" must be or "what will your customer want" ie who is writing the check and what do they want. I think that in 5 years 50% of the display devices (customers) will be some kind of 4K display or flavor of UHD and 25% will still be at best 1080 60p units. The other 25% will be a mix of 720/web only/mobile devices etc etc.  If you are in an educational situation you can use almost anything because it should be the work flow, signal flow and process/best practices they need to learn.  At this moment I have no plans to focus on 4K equipment as I have not had one customer ask for it. (especially after I show them how much data they will have to manage)  I love the concept that BM is doing with their cameas but I cant easly use the things in productions with all the many work arounds, my budgets are to small. 

I have seen the PX 270 controlled with a full roll (1000') of CAT 5e. 

This moment in time is even more complicated than the good old switch from SD to HD that took about 4 solid years to become standardized. Short answer:  buy something you like and can afford, do great work, form personal relationships and make some money while having fun. Its what we do.

SLC,
United States
The px270 is lan based

The px270 is LAN based control. I have controlled the camera from 10000 feet away over fiber. Is that far enough? :-)

Greg Bellotte
owner - MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Molde
Norway
Hah, that is awesome! I was

Hah, that is awesome! I was sort of expecting I'd have to shell out a great deal more to even be in the realm of possibilities for CCU control. I'll read up on the units.

As for future-proofing: If you can make it look great and can control either the area or the amount of light you'll be shooting in, you probably won't have too big an issue. That is, unless resale-value after those 5 years is something you want to be a deciding factor, though. I'm currently buying ~6-8 year old Sony EX1Rs for my productions - because as long as they get enough light, I can make them look great, and I can get them for as low as $1000/unit in practically perfect condition. 

As in any business, you can only invest in gear that you can defend in your budget - e.g. if no client wants 4k within 5 years, why pay more to get gear capable of it, if you're only planning for the next 5 years anyway? I don't think it's the cameras that will be the make or break technologically within the next 5 years anyway - it will be the surrounding package you can offer, with graphics, integration with other systems etc.

SLC,
United States
The px270 has a lot going for

The px270 has a lot going for it. The RCP can be found used, got one in mint condition for $1200 recently.

We have a single strand 4x4 HDSDI multiplexer, and also use a set of cisco managed switches. Two strands of fiber allows our custom box to have...

4 camera video to switcher

4 return monitor feeds from our videohub

internet for a wifi access point

videohub control panel

RCP control of all cameras

Dante audio for talent mics, IFB, and currently 4 different intercom channels

We have been using many setups like this for years. I don't buy gear unless I know it can be used/rented out to earn its keep. For broadcast clients, 1080i and 720p are the primary formats for the US. I don't see that need going away any time soon. It's workable for any online delivery as well. I agree with eventmedia, buy gear for the work you have in hand. You can blow A LOT of profit on gear that may not work for future needs. In the US the tax depreciation period is 5 or 7 years for this kind of stuff, so I don't count on it being useful any longer than this period anyway.

Greg Bellotte
owner - MambaFiber.com
FaceBook.com/MambaFiber

Kranj
Slovenia
200 -> 160
jpd99 wrote:

Hi All,

New to the forum. Looking at setting up a concert live streaming system for a venue. I'm looking for 4 cameras with the following requirements:

• Genlock
  • Fixed aperture
  • 3G SDI

Right now the only one I can find in the £6k per camera budget is the Sony PXW-X200. It looks like it can more than adequately do the job but I'm put off from the fact that I'm buying into 3 year old technology. Other cameras which are just a bit too far out of budget are the URSA Mini Pro or Sony FS7 with genlock pack.

Is the X200 the best I can get for £6k or is there something else out there?

Many thanks in advance

Tele ho!

more cost-effective cameras are PXW-160, they do great job. Here is example, shoot earlier this month:

See video

Our setup is based on those cameras, BMD Atem switchers, optic fiber converters and it is proven to be sturdy and workable in extreme conditions (we cover a lot of wintersports, outside...)

PM me if you wish more detailed info...

br

3g

imorrish's picture

Wellington
New Zealand
Also +1 for PXW270, have

Also +1 for PXW270, have found the RCP  to be a bit slow at responding compared to Sony Broadcast RCP-1000 series, but much better than PMW range.

Manual Zoom and Focus in particular are good on the PCW270 but we have blown the SDI port twice so if you are in bad RF or high power situations, use an isolating balun or Fibre.

Dubai
United Arab Emirates
Pmw 300 pxw160 and panasonic 270

The best image quality is the 3cmos 1/2' sony pmw 300 and pxw200 but the problem is the lens is short compared to 1/3' cameras and 1/2' b4 lenses are very expensive, i think the pxw160 with 25x lens is great camera its the best 1/3', as for the panny 270 also it is a very good camera with advantage of using ccu and digital zoom with it, but in my opinion the 1/3' cameras are low cost cameras made for low cost projects so you don't have to use ccu it will add an extra operator cost for ur project

Tarek Saneh

Technical Director 

www.wonderweb.ae