MXPTiny: Free H.264 Recorder, Previewer & Streamer

18 posts / 0 new
Last post

Munich
Germany
MXPTiny: Free H.264 Recorder, Previewer & Streamer

I wrote a tiny little program for Windows that supports the H.264 streaming enabled devices by Blackmagic Design (H.264 Pro Recorder and ATEM Television Studio). It can show a preview of the H.264 stream when VLC is installed on the system. You can also use VLC simultaneously for streaming and previewing.

Further it supports recording the transport stream to a file on disk. Whenever a recording is being started the new stream is appended to the existing file. You also can select a new file if desired.

Well this this is just a early version and it is only a try to get rid of the original Media Express that writes MP4 files and is not able to stream. Maybe you to give MXPTiny a try and maybe you find this program as useful as I do.

I would appreciate any feedback.

http://ml.42u.de/download/MXPTinyinstall.exe

Deti

KONA's picture

OAK LAWN,
United States
How do you stream with it?

How do you stream with it?  Do not see any settings for it?

KONA

Shawn "KONA" Warbiany
Owner of Kona's Korner Productions LLC, your one stop resource for LIVE event planning, production and broadcasting. www.KonasKornerproductions.com

Munich
Germany
Re:
KONA wrote:

How do you stream with it?  Do not see any settings for it?

Simply by setting your VLC up for streaming to a target. The source URI should be stream://\\\.\pipe\DeckLink.ts

Deti

Munich
Germany
MXPTiny: new version 0.3 released

There is a new version of MXPTiny with configurable Preview/Streaming command line parameters available at http://ml.42u.de/download/MXPTinyinstall.exe

Deti

JohnBengston's picture

London
United Kingdom
Deti, nice one!!!! Can you

Deti, nice one!!!!

Can you open a control socket so that starting and stopping can be done from a control system? I think you know what I am suggesting, I can fire windows messages into your app to push buttons and change combos, but it would be nice it there was a way I could query the status of the app too?

Great great little tool.

Cheers

John

Munich
Germany
Re: MXPTiny: New version 0.7 & now GPL'd open source

MXPTiny has reached version 0.7 and is from now on open source under GPLv3 license.

You can download the installer as usual from http://ml.42u.de/download/MXPTinyinstall.exe

The sources are available at GitHub: https://github.com/baycom/MXPTiny

Feel free to contribute to this program - it's free and it will stay free!

Deti

Hyde Park,
United States
RC Interface
JohnBengston wrote:

Can you open a control socket so that starting and stopping can be done from a control system? I think you know what I am suggesting, I can fire windows messages into your app to push buttons and change combos, but it would be nice it there was a way I could query the status of the app too?

Are you familiar with VLC's remote interface?

Leipzig,
Germany
Linux question

Hello,

we are using the flumotion streaming server under linux. Is there a way to port MXPTiny to Linux that it could feed the flumotion server under Linux.

thanks offtools

Washington,
United States
question

Do you have a little tutorial on how you configured your vlc.. to work with stream to a place like usteam.tv?

or anyone else that got it to work... how did you assign the target input (stream://\\\.\pipe\DeckLink.ts)? I'm having a difficult time figuring it out. using 2.0.5

-Nelson

Grenoble
France
small issue

I could only run the Preview once, then it failed. had to reboot to get it to work again.
did I do something wrong ?

it runs on a linux -> vbox -> windows stack
I couln't run it on a macos -> vbox -> windows stack, the macos seems to accaparate the USB device.

Kleineibstadt,
Germany
Hallo DETI, kannst du mal

Hallo DETI,

kannst du mal bitte eine Beispiel Befehlszeile für ffmpeg angeben, mit der man den Stream dort als gültigen Input verwenden kann?
ich habe es mal so probiert
ffmpeg -re -f  \\.\pipe\DeckLink.ts -s 1920x1080 -r 15 -i :0.0 -f ....  "rtmp://Servername/streamname"

ich bekomme aber von ffmpeg immer als feedback unknown input format \\.\pipe\DeckLink.ts

Vielen Dank im Voraus

Philipp

aksis34's picture

paris
France
Hi !  i m  on Macbook I

Hi ! 
i m  on Macbook
I download your BMD Client and used it with terminal, it is great !!!
Bue i cant figure out how to stream true VLC ...
Is it possible to run your softwaez MXPTiny on a mac ??
Thanks by advance ... 

aksis34 from France,  ATEM TVS and macretina

buenos aires,
Argentina
HELP DETI!

Hello Deti i Bought the h264 pro recorder thinking I would be ble to stream easily. Obviusly I was wrong. Now i am trying to find a solution to be able to do it. I been reading your post and downloaded your software. I am having trouble when I try to type stream:\\///./pipe... ect. VLC doesnt let me do it from the network part. it erase everything when i type /// the bars. Could help or guide me through that. I would be really thankfull. Your software works much better than MXlight, thats why I want to use yours.

So i would need help in the streaming part of the VLC. Pleeaaseee.. 

Thank you

Tbilisi,
Georgia
Recording audio too

Hi everyone,I tested "MXPTiny"  and recorded only video,but I want to record audio as well.Is it possible to do it?

imorrish's picture

Wellington
New Zealand
I have just tested now and it

I have just tested now and it recorded audio fine.

Do you hear audio in the VLC preview that is launched when you click Preview? May be something wrong with PC codecs or VLC output settings.

I'm using latest version I compiled from https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com/2016/08/25/record-h-264-from-blackmagic-television-studio-usb-port/ and have used this on several computers with both the TVS and H.264 pro recorder.

Stillwater
United States
OBS

Has anyone used this in conjunction with OBS to broadcast to Youtube Live?  Our Church inherited a Blackmagic TVS that was used just to produce powerpoints and such to TV's.  I was looking for a way to potentially input an HD Canon HDMI camera to the ATEM and then send that video to the PC and mix it in OBS to send to Youtube.  Will this work?

imorrish's picture

Wellington
New Zealand
I have tried it using the VLC

I have tried it using the VLC player option in OBS but there is a 2 second delay which makes it a bit confusing to monitor.

Someone else mentioned that the picture is going through 2 lots of H.264 conversion so may not be as high a quality.

I would go with an SDI capture card like the BMD PCI Mini Recorder to take the TVS program out. OBS supports this card and quality will be better.

Stillwater
United States
I was afraid it might be an

I was afraid it might be an issue.  I believe we'll leave the TVS for use to show things on the tv screens for now (I know, under utilized) and we'll be getting an Avermedia Live Gamer Portable to do our streaming.  Use it as the video source and run our sound board into the Line in on the computer for audio.