Echolab Opera 3416 Questions / Help...

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

Arkansas City,
United States
Echolab Opera 3416 Questions / Help...

Hello, 

To make a long story short; We recently had an Echolab Opera 3416 switcher donated to us. I have scoured the internet, and not been able to find much info on it.

First off, let me give you an idea of our current set-up; I am in charge of the video board in a junior college basketball arena. We have 4 Sony DXC-D30 cameras connected (via 26-pin cable) to 4 Sony CCU-M5A's. We also have 2 hotronic AP-41 frame syncs (for GoPro cameras).

We also have a Grass Valley Turbo iDDR and a Fast Forward Video Omega Deck for instant replay. All 8 of the sources are fed (via composite) into a Sony BVS-3200 8-input switcher. We also have a Chyron character generator for graphics that is being fed into the External Key/Fill inputs.

Of the info that i have found online about the Echolab 3416, i do know it can accept 16 inputs of any combination of Component, Composite or SDI. Currently all 8 of our sources are composite. All of the Sony CCU's can output component, the Grass Valley iDDR, FFV Omega Deck and the Chyron can output SDI.

I have also heard that the switcher has it's own internal frame syncs for each input. 99% of our problems are genlock related, for example; sources losing phase, and drifting am i right in assuming that using this switcher will allow us to not have to use genlock for each source?

I can tell this switcher is an upgrade from what we have, and we would like to be able to have more than the 8 sources we are currently limited to. We have an additional FFV Omega Deck, and an additional Sony DXC-D30 camera and CCU but are unable to use them due to the lack of inputs into the switcher. Additionally our chyron system has 2 outputs, we are only using one of the channels, again due to lack of inputs.

I want to make sure it is what we are looking for before tearing out our current system.

Any help, resources, manuals, ect you can possibly provide me would be greatly appreciated.Thanks!

Hilversum
Netherlands
Hi, I have not had any

Hi, I have not had any experience with the switcher but from looking at the brochure the amount of analog/digital inputs depends on what boards are being used. Can you taken a look at the rear of the mainframe to see what cards it has?

Brighton,
United Kingdom
You should still use genlock

You should still use genlock on the Echolab (even though it has framesync capabilities) you should find that the timing window of the inputs is wider and thus less susceptible to errors from minor timing issues.

I'd suggest setting it up with your spare camera / ccu and FFV deck, this will let you check that each input works and can accept the sources you have before you rip out your existing system.

good luck, 

cheers
tom

Arkansas City,
United States
Does the switcher genlock

Does the switcher genlock input accept blackburst? All of our sources accept blackburst only.

Brighton,
United Kingdom
Yes the switcher should

Yes the switcher should accept black and burst. 

Arkansas City,
United States
Does anyone have a copy of

Does anyone have a copy of the manual i can possibly have?

Arkansas City,
United States
One other thing... Sony

One other thing... Sony BVS-3200 has its own internal Blackburst outputs (that is feeding genlock all of our sources), I see that the 3416 only has a genlock input (but it doesn't output blackburst like our BVS-3200 does) I would assume i would need a blackburst generator that would feed genlock to the switcher as well as all our sources?

We do have a Tektronix TSG-200 (that we use for color bars and tone) that has blackburst outputs. I would assume that would work for timing the system?

I know how to time the sources to our current BVS-3200 switcher. So i guess my question is; How do i time all our sources to the 3416 switcher? Would it work just like our current system does? Or is there extra steps involved because the blackburst is coming from a seperate generator not from the switcher?

Thanks again for your help.

Hilversum
Netherlands
The TSG-200 would work

The TSG-200 would work perfectly as a blackburst generator.

The CCU M5 is a bit back in my head but I can remember you haveing to adjust the phase depending on the length of the cable etc? That will remain the same..

Raleigh
United States
Echolab Opera Notes and Manual

< http://www.crossroadstapestry.org/resources/manuals/index.php?dir=EchoLa... > for the manual.

We have an Opera 3408.  Input format depends on what cards are installed - they are installed in banks of 4, I believe.  Your menu will identify what formats are available on each input when you select it.

Outputs simultaneously produce SDI and Analog flavors on each output.

Reference must come from an external generator.  Also, reference must be SDI, not analog, I believe.  We found a blackburst generator that produces both SDI and analog BB.

If you use the internal frame syncs, you will introduce several frames of latency, so if you can lock your sources, you will be better off.  The interal frame syncs will work, however.

We have an early version of this model, and the sync architecture may have changed in subsequent models.  I recall that we had some issues at install with genlock that caused some surprises, but don't really recall the specifics.  I think  that we got hit with an add for a more expensive external BB generator to provide both SDI BB for the switcher and analog BB for our cameras.

We're actually experiencing some issues now with ours, as the switcher indicates that it is locked via the stuatus indicators on the rear, even if BB is not connected to the frame at bootup.  Not sure where this is headed....

Larry Leake
Worship Technology Manager
Crossroads Fellowship - www.crossroads.org

Knoxville,
United States
Opera 3416 and Nova id4 16 Input SDI

I have an Echolab Opera 3416 panel. A former employee got rid of the chassis that belongs with the panel, so I had to try and find one to purchase. I couldn't find the Opera 3416 chassis, but I did find an Echolab Nova id4 chassis.

I was concerned with compatibility since the panel is from the Opera line and the chassis is from the Nova line. I asked the seller about that compatibility. He said it should be fine since they are both from the Identity 4 series. So I purchased the Nova chassis.

However, the panel and chassis are not communicating. I have everything connected properly (TX to RX). The panel reads nothing. I've checked the CF card in the Nova. I have BMD's Sync Generator sending Genlock signal. So my conclusion is that the two pieces of hardware are not compatible.

What do you think?

imorrish's picture

Wellington
New Zealand
We have confirmed through

We have confirmed through reverse engineering that the panels labeled Identity 4 and Overture 1 (although they look the same) rely on slightly different protocol (to do with checksum mainly).

It might be possible to update the firmware of the panel (there is a serial port inside the unit) but you might be better off converting the panel to work with a newer ATEM switcher.

There will be several options for doing this shortly so hang onto that panel.

Daarlerveen
Netherlands
panel

Well indeed we have a converter for that panel (Identity 4 ) to connect to the current BMD Atem range.  

http://www.atemuser.com/forums/atem-vision-mixers/developers/bg-connect-...

Also i do think you  made a mistake with that genlock...    The Echolab frames need a SD-SDI signal to sync too..  The Sync generator of BMD only outputs BlackBurst and TriLevel sync.  Which is not compatible.    

Connect a SD-SDI camera to the sync input and you will see that the Sync led will change state. 

Daniel Wittenaar

Xtreemtec Media Productions

The Willows Developments