Skip navigation.
Home

DataVideo CG200 character generator

12 posts / 0 new
Last post

Sydney
Australia
DataVideo CG200 character generator

We are looking at getting a DataVideo CG200 character generator.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

It comes with an optional TC200 for inserting 'cut and fill' or for using as a downstream device.

Interesting enough it is used with a notebook computer and outputs the 'cut and fill' on the secondary HDMI connector.

That means it can pass 2 signals!

So the next question is; does the ATEM allow cut and fill on the same connector on any of its HDMI inputs?

I am currently testing out the DATAVIDEO CG350 using a Decklink HD Pro (this is my CasperCG box) and am getting terrific results with my ATEM 2 m/e running 'fill' into input 15 and 'cut' into input 16

These are interesting times indeed!

Baz

Where would I be without the 'undo' button

Pasadena
United States
Interesting.  How much is one

Interesting.  How much is one of those?

Oh... and no... no system I know of (including the ATEM) allows cut and fill on a single connector. The video spec does not allow such a capability.

Sydney
Australia
HDMI spec DOES allow multiple video channels
liamkennedy wrote:

Interesting.  How much is one of those? Oh... and no... no system I know of (including the ATEM) allows cut and fill on a single connector. The video spec does not allow such a capability.

The cut and fill signals are passed onto the HDMI of the computer as the HDMI spec DOES allow multiple video channels ala 3D...

Pasadena
United States
OK.   TO clarify... the video

OK.   TO clarify then... the video spec of the TVS/1ME/2ME etc etc does not support two signals on a single input.  Clear?

On another matter.. can you answer my question? Cost of that CG200. Thanks!

Sydney
Australia
price
liamkennedy wrote:

On another matter.. can you answer my question? Cost of that CG200. Thanks!

Datavideo CG200 software is under $800. There is no release price yet for the TC200. It would probably be about the same.

The concept of this system is to keep to size of it all down to a minimum.
So a notebook pc and a palm sized box is a great idea for a fully functional HD character generator.

http://www.datavideo.info/Character+Generators/CG-200#tab=description

cheers

JohnBengston's picture

London
United Kingdom
Guys This website has it for

Guys

This website has it for 667 Euros which is a bit under $1K(US).

http://www.wamm.pl/datavideo-cg200-hdsd-character-generator-kit-p-1328.html

I would be really interested to see detailed review if anyone gets hold of one, as the images of the device at the above link seem to indicate it is HDMI In from a PC and SDI out / overlay, rather than something you could plug the HDMI out of and into an ATEM.

Slightly off topic, apologies, but I've really been liking the Gigabyte BRIXs in some testing over the past few months, and I see there are soon going to release higher powered ones, that I guess you could (or will be able to) get CasparCG (and probably other GFX renderer solutions in due course) to run on.

Not as flexible as the SDI external overlay feature of the datavideo, but also more flexible in other ways. 4x4x4-ish inch cubes would be nice as external CG in little racks for me, and since they have both HDMI and DIsplayPort outputs, you could potentially deliver the separate Key and Fill on two of the HDMI inputs of an ATEM 1ME. Whether they would stay in sync is anyones guess, as it's a bit hypothetical at the moment, but I think is equally worth investigating.

Tiny external CG solutions are very much needed for mobile ATEM users is my impression.

Pasadena
United States
Thanks for the info on the

Thanks for the info on the CG200 John.   I could not seem to find that.  

Those Brix's look pretty nice.   

Edinburgh
United Kingdom
CG200 help!

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie video assist for commercials and TV dramas.  I've recently had inquires to do graphic overlays for some commercials so have looked into this Datavideo TC200 as what seemed to be the cheapest solution for what I've been asked.

I've got the unit now and have installed the CG200 software that came with it but I can't seem to enable the HDMI playback properly - has anyone else who have used had the same problem?  Also having a problem with the TC200 recognising the SDI input from the camera I have hooked up.  I've hooked up my laptop via the HDMI and ethernet cables as per the instructions but the only image outputted by the TC200 is a full screen display of my laptop desktop.  The 'HDMI output/F10' playback option is greyed out in the CG200 program, even though there is something outputting from the HDMI.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks, Pete

Łódź
Poland
Re: CG200 help!

I don't know if you have solved this problem, but I thought I would put somewhere what I've learned for others to find.

First of all, if your CG200 doesn't want to output on the HDMI output, try using Windows+P key combination to enable the second video output as "extended" desktop. Once that's done, go to your display settings, go into advanced settings and select the desired video mode (1080i/p 50/60, etc.). Now, once you start the app, it should work properly. It would seem, that the CG200 checks for display adapter settings and uses that to decide if the HDMI output should be available.

Now for some technical details: the CG-200/TC-200 doesn't use a dual-stream/3D HDMI features to send the alpha channel. It uses a rather nifty trick: it uses HDMI's RGB 4:4:4 mode to send a YCbCr + A 4:2:2:4 signal. This is how it's done: For each pixel the Y value is calculated and put in the R channel. The Cb and Cr values are calculated for every odd pixel and then are alternated in the G channel across two pixels. Alpha value is then put into the B channel for each pixel. Thus, a complete 4:2:2 signal can be sent through a single HDMI output along a full-resolution alpha channel:

Pixel 1|Pixel 2
R1 G1 B1 | R2 G2 B2
Y1 Cb1 A1| Y2 Cr1 A2

I don't actually own a TC-200 unit, but this is what I was able to gather from how the CG-200 works.

Belgrade
Serbia
CG200 help

Thank you very much for your comment regarding Cg200 operation.
I have a TC200 hardware unit and I may confirm your explanation is correct.

Eching,
Germany
All, I'm currently working on

All,

I'm currently working on extending BoinxTV to be used with a TC-200. I.e. use BoinxTV as CG (incl. alpha) and output through a TC-200. IMHO this might be a pretty solid CG. Especially if you take into account the price of other CGs and (talking about the non-expensive ones) their pretty limited feature set. Somebody interested?

CU,

Udo

Khabarovsk
Russia
overlay doesn't work correct

Hi guys,
please help. why overlay doesn't work correct. all layers and text have opacity abt 10%, but in settings 0.